Sunday, February 13, 2011

Anxiety Medications

Unlike many people with anxiety attacks, my first encounter with a doctor was not upon my initial attack, but rather some years later.

During my first attack (which was mercifully short) I had a general idea that what I was going through might have been a panic attack, I watched 60 Minutes too after all. Either way, it began to subside quickly enough that I didn't call the ambulance or anything. From then on I knew what it was (which did nothing to help, unfortunately) and I didn't really think a doctor could help me.

Fast forward to about the age of twenty five. I had finally decided that maybe a doctor could give me some tranquilizers or something. I wasn't about to see a therapist. Not only did I not have the insurance coverage, I also didn't believe for a second that a “shrink” could do me any good by me talking about my inner child for years on end. I figured I just inherited this mess so it's in my genes. I wasn't having much luck controlling panic attacks on my own, though, so I figured Xanax could do it for me with less side effects than boozing it up.

Doctors don't like to give you narcotics if you straight up ask for them, I learned. Especially if you are a long haired rocker type. Strike one. I got  a “prescription” for deep breathing exercises and it only cost me fifty bucks at that.

On my next go 'round I played it cooler. You know, the “I've tried deep breathing and meditation, and nothing works, Doc. Whatever can I do now?” technique. It worked. I got Valium.

So, here's the thing about taking tranquilizers for panic attacks. It takes at least twenty minutes for the darned pill to kick in and the attack is usually over in less than ten. This was a logistical issue I had overlooked. Alcohol would kick in in a few minutes at least. The label on the bottle said take one tablet as needed. The problem was that without psychic powers I didn't know for sure when I was going to need it.

You see, I felt general anxiety off and on quite a bit, but a full blown anxiety attack only came on every once in a while. I tried taking half a pill every 6 hours or so in an attempt to hold down any possible anxiety throughout the day, but even that small dose still made me move in slow motion all day. I was pretty relaxed to be sure, I was also not able to function properly

I eventually put the pills in the medicine cabinet for those times when I was experiencing an extended period of anxiety. I also would carry one in a little pill box in my pocket just as a “security blanket.” Actually, it helped quite a bit knowing it was there. Just having it on me enabled me to bear more than I might have without it.

Over all, tranquilizers were just a slight help. They were nowhere near a solution. As far as drugs go, the next step was SSRIs like Prozac, etc. This was not an option for me.

My wife at the time had been put on Effexor for depression. Twenty five dollars per pill those things cost. When she lost her insurance, well, things got very ugly very fast. I did not want to be put on a drug that may or may not work for me and not be able to stop without months of medical oversight. I was somewhat desperate, but that idea actually made me anxious in itself.

It wasn't long after these events that I had a major change in my life that did have a pretty significant effect on my panic attacks and anxiety. Divorce.

Until later,

Chris.

P.S. To learn more about how to stop panic attacks naturally, without pills, check out the Panic Away Method.

No comments:

Post a Comment